Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Forum Upgrade Bugs & Glitches

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Forum Upgrade Bugs & Glitches

Not so fast...here's a new one!

Recent comments in the gallery don't show up. There's no message. (Example here: http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/show...47&limit=views )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

We have a list of Moderators at the bottom of the Main Page, and we have another list of currently active users.

When a Moderator is online his name also appears in the currently active user list, right?

There could be a drawback to this, because we can also see when NO Moderators are online - like at the moment...

Ah, Matthew has just appeared.

Darn, and there I was going to Hijack the site and fill it with Anti-Islamic properganda whilst no one was watching

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Biltong (Dee) View Post
    We have a list of Moderators at the bottom of the Main Page, and we have another list of currently active users.

When a Moderator is online his name also appears in the currently active user list, right?

There could be a drawback to this, because we can also see when NO Moderators are online - like at the moment...

Ah, Matthew has just appeared.

Darn, and there I was going to Hijack the site and fill it with Anti-Islamic properganda whilst no one was watching

If one of us (users or staff) is inactive for a certain amount of time we won't show up in the list, even if we're just reading a thread very slowly. Also, often we are very close by, just distracted by things like work or important things like family, and we come back quickly. It's rare that at least one of us isn't around for more than a minute or two.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Osama bin Laden has been thwarted again
    Thanks for the explanation Matthew!

Beans

I just accidentally created a double post by simply hitting back on my browser (Firefox 1.5.0.5 on Ubuntu 6.06). This strikes me as a bug as I don't recall having the same issue occur with other forums.

Beans

While this isn't exactly a bug, I do believe it is a pretty serious issue. The problem I have is with the upgrades to the search feature. Before the upgrades, the search feature would not omit certain words at certain times. For instance

Code:
    upgrade breezy to dapper
    would omit the word "to" and search as

Code:
    upgrade breezy dapper
    it would not however omit words like without, cannot, can't, not, etc. Especially when using quotes. Now however, a search like

Code:
    reinstall without cd
    as well as

Code:
    "reinstall without cd"
    both omit the word "without"

because it is "either very common, too long, or too short and [is] not included in [my] search"

The problem is that "reinstall cd" is vastly different than "reinstall without cd". One might get me results detailing where or how to obtain an ubuntu cd, while the other might provide instructions to reinstall from a damaged but bootable ubuntu install. I could live with removing words from searches without quotes, searches which remove to, and, etc. But having a search which removes the negative modifiers such as those descirbed is a crippleing blow to the forum's search feature. I used to be able to find quite a bit of stuff, but now that the search capability has been depriciated I guess I will have to resort to google. Although this yields some results, it is not ideal as linux related searches are sometimes irrelevant or muddied by garbage like diffs, source code and developer forums. I hope you will fix this so that I can come back to the forums for my answers. I really feel that this search feature is what made the ubuntu forums and community so effective and feel that depriciateing them in this way waters down the ubuntu community support which helped to build this distro. I hope that you will consider revising the search.

James

Beans

K I'm not sure if this is a bug per sey, but others might be experiencing it so I'll go ahead and post.

On the ubuntu forums when I click on the drop down search bar, and type something in, my text is the exact same color as the text box, so I can't see what I type. The same is also true for the subject line in the reply box. The quick search bar, the blue one, also has this problem.

Here are some screens of what I am talking about.

I have a temporary fix, which is to use the firefox extension "Text-background fixer" to auto balance the colors, but it make the forums look like crap, seeing how it cuts out major parts of the top left.

This isn't really a major concern for me, seeing as how I can use the filter and get by. It just bugs me.

Do others have this problem?

I have 4 pictures.

In order they are:

1. The search bar when I use the background fixer, look and see how the forums are different other than just the text box
    2. A closeup of the options in firefox
    3. The search bar when I disable the BG fixer
    4. Me selecting my text, in order to see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

@ fourchannel: maybe something to do with the theme you're using? I don't get this here, and I am using swiftfox, but with human theme.

Try changing themes (on firefox), and see if it makes the text appear as it should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is likely to be a problem on my end, but whenever I use alt+1, alt+2 etc to navigate away from a tab that has Ubuntuforums loaded, the current tab will reload and bring me back to one of three pages; index, search and print preview.

I'm using Swiftfox with the Samui theme.

EDIT: Not my theme. Must be swiftfox.
    Last edited by ~LoKe; August 6th, 2006 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LKRaider View Post
    @ fourchannel: maybe something to do with the theme you're using? I don't get this here, and I am using swiftfox, but with human theme.

Try changing themes (on firefox), and see if it makes the text appear as it should.
    Yep. Turns out it was the Teneberific Theme that was messing with the colors. *Sigh* I guess I'm gonna have to install xgl and compiz if I want a cool theme and correct rendering lol =P

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718