Thread: Help needed for finding missing Wifi in 22.04 LTS and 24.04 LTS

Beans

Exclamation Help needed for finding missing Wifi in 22.04 LTS and 24.04 LTS

I had created a bootable USB stick and used it to install Ubuntu on a Windows 10 HP notebook in dual-boot mode. The machine worked well for several years, but developed hard drive problems recently.

Hence, I used the same USB stick and the same image of 22.04 to install Ubuntu 22.04 on an Acer Windows 11 laptop in dual-boot mode. On this machine, unlike the last one (HP), Wifi is absent. This does not seem to be a hardware issue, as Wifi works fine when the machine is running Windows.

Anyway, thinking that switching to a newer iteration of Ubuntu might solve the problem, I flashed 24.04 LTS on the USB Stick and installed it on my new Acer laptop. There was no change. That is, there was still no Wifi.

I am attaching an image of the Settings>Networks screen. Settings > Networks screen in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. It's tge same in 22.04 LTS.

In addition to Wifi being missing, Bluetooth cannot be turned on. When I try to turn it on, I find that the machine is stuck in Airplane mode. When I turn off Airplane mode, it turns on by itself very shortly after.

I would really appreciate help in solving these problems. Thanks in advance.

networkingwirelessbluetooth
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tapasray; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help needed for finding missing Wifi in 22.04 LTS and 24.04 LTS

Does it work when you boot to the Ubuntu 24 live image?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Does it work when you boot to the Ubuntu 24 live image?
    It does not work when 24.04 boots. But I'm not sure if 22.04 has actually installed over 22.04 or not ... probably not ... because when I restart the machine, it goes back to 22.04.

Beans

Correction: "... not sure if 24.04 has actually installed over 22.04 or not ..."