Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.10 and still no new theme?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: 8.10 and still no new theme?!?

you need no new default themes...

as you can get themes from http://www.gnome-look.org/ FOR FREE....

Beans

Guys, it's not that I'm "averse" of the color palette used in the theme (I pretty much like the orange-brownish ubuntu look - and it's original), it's that the theme practically didn't change since it's creation. A new theme was promised for the Hardy (theoretically, because it would be the next LTS, and that it should have marked the beginning of new LTS era, or whatever), and then as the Artwork Team didn't manage to produce it in time, they postponed it to the Intrepid release.
    One of the major reasons I was waiting for Intrepid was the new refreshed look, but it's just ain't there. And I literary don't understand what does Artwork Team do at all... We see the same icons, the same window border, same layout... I wonder how Mark Shuttleworth plans to beat Apple with this prehistoric "weapon".
    Btw, thanks for the hints, and I do already use both gnome-look and ubuntu-art to their max. It's just there to few really outstanding and complete themes. On the other hand these sites are just flooded with Vista-ish and Mac-ish fakes... I don't want to make my Ubuntu look like them... And if I would, I'd get one (Mac or Vista).
    I mean c'mon... The default look IS important. It builds the brand identity as snowpine mentioned. You cannot just stick with the same theme (which probably was stunning years ago) for ages, especially today, when the appearance is non-the-less important than the functionality (hint: Apple's success)...

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jedimasterk View Post
    Just be thankful that with Ubuntu, or any other Linux distro, you don't need to purchase a theme, icon, etc, manager. Like Windows with Stardock etc. It will come eventually!.
    you can install themes on windows without purchasing stuff to

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _sAm_ View Post
    Open Synaptic and install:
    Community themes(includes Dust, Kin, New Wave)
    Ubuntustudio-sounds

Love both New Wave and Dust, but new wave is working best.
    yes exciting new clearlooks variants, yawn.
    How many variants of clearlooks do we bloody need?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is the new default theme supposed to automatically install when upgrading, because when I upgraded to 8.10, it wasn't there.

Not that I have any problem with that. I hate the default theme.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Is the new default theme supposed to automatically install when upgrading, because when I upgraded to 8.10, it wasn't there.

Not that I have any problem with that. I hate the default theme.
    yes it should be there automatically

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_snake View Post
    yes it should be there automatically
    Well it's not there for me. Perhaps it's because I upgraded from KDE and not GNOME?

Either way, whatever. I didn't want to use it. I just wanted to know why it's not there.

I absolutely love the default wallpaper, though. Much more professional looking than the Hardy default wallpaper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Well it's not there for me. Perhaps it's because I upgraded from KDE and not GNOME?

Either way, whatever. I didn't want to use it. I just wanted to know why it's not there.

I absolutely love the default wallpaper, though. Much more professional looking than the Hardy default wallpaper.
    are you on kubuntu then? oh in that case it won't be there....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by MadsRH View Post
    I'm using Dust witch is a very professional looking theme.
    Check out this blog post: http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/1...ok-for-ubuntu/
    ...this theme is is buggy (Max. a window and look at the top right and left corners)....then again the Human theme (window manager) is buggy with Nvidia+Compiz.

I give up and use clearlooks.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast