Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kernel 6.8.0-20-generic - lowlatency and generic merge into one

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 6.8.0-20-generic - lowlatency and generic merge into one

Since the beginning of testing Noble, Ive always had a choice between the two.
    EDIT Let me clean that up first.
    Code:
    apt list --installed | grep linux-image

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

linux-image-6.8.0-28-generic/noble,now 6.8.0-28.28 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    linux-image-6.8.0-28-lowlatency/noble,now 6.8.0-28.28.1 amd64 [installed]
    linux-image-generic/noble,now 6.8.0-28.28 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    On my end Doug I've always seen both.
    Code:
    uname -r
    6.8.0-28-lowlatency
    Last edited by 1fallen; 1 Week Ago at 05:49 PM. Reason: cleaned for ease of reading
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On my Ubuntu noble installed from today ISO I see
    Code:
    corrado@corrado-n7-nn-0420:~$ uname -r
    6.8.0-28-generic
    corrado@corrado-n7-nn-0420:~$ apt list --installed | grep linux-image

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

linux-image-6.8.0-28-generic/noble,now 6.8.0-28.28 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    linux-image-generic-hwe-24.04/noble,now 6.8.0-28.28 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    corrado@corrado-n7-nn-0420:~$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Humm, dose it show here:
    Code:
    apt list  | grep linux-image-lowlatency
    I did install the lowlat kernel myself.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the replies. I had thought there was not a lowlatency version of kernels since 6.8.0.20, at the start of this thread. But I just did updates and got both 6.8.0-28-generic and 6.8.0-28-lowlatency.

Code:
    doug@s19:~/kernel/linux$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image-6.8.0
    rc  linux-image-6.8.0-11-generic                 6.8.0-11.11                             amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-6.8.0-20-generic                 6.8.0-20.20                             amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-6.8.0-22-generic                 6.8.0-22.22                             amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-6.8.0-28-generic                 6.8.0-28.28                             amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-6.8.0-28-lowlatency              6.8.0-28.28.1                           amd64        Signed kernel image lowlatency
    ii  linux-image-6.8.0-7-lowlatency               6.8.0-7.7.1                             amd64        Signed kernel image lowlatency
    However, I did install the linux-lowlatency package at some point, and not sure exactly when I did it, or even why (I thought is was way back so I could get 6.8.0-7-lowlatency):

Code:
    sudo apt install linux-lowlatency
    EDIT: I think this is my mistake, I found a comment on the related discourse page that says their is no plan to deprecate the lowlatency kernel for 24.04

EDIT: But there is also this, from the bug report, which suggests the objective is only one kernel, and which also makes a lot of sense:

Code:
    Maintaining a separate kernel for a single config option seems a bit overkill and it is a significant
    cost of engineering hours, build time, regression testing time and resources. Not to mention the risk of
    the low-latency kernel falling behind and not being perfectly in sync with the latest generic kernel.
    Last edited by Doug S; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123